Whitworth Valley U14’s v Royton Town AFC U14’s



We’ll it was certainly a first for me today, I’ve never been to a football match where the flood lights have to be used because the sun hasn’t yet come out as it was that early…   a 9am kick off up in Bacup.

Things didn’t look good from the start as the referee was spotted getting out of a Whitworth players car so we knew straightaway it was going to be 12v11 and it certainly was.

With a couple of lads runnung late it meant a change to the starting line up but there were plenty to chose from.

Ciaran in net Sean, Saif, Tommy and Jack playing across the back, Joe, Isaac, Harrison, Ewan and Rahman in the middle and Jackson up front.

The lads were well up for this one and played some superb football right from the off.  Time and time again the ball was layed through to Jackson only for him to be ruled offside.  Very debatable and then we were threatened of being reported to the league for cheering the team on – farcical.  Rahman was playing like he was possessed, chasing everything down and managed to break the deadlock on 8 minutes. 1-0 to Royton.

Whitworth had the odd chance but the back line and Ciaran were playing some good stuff.

23 minutes played and the referee awarded Whitworth a free kick as it was deemed Ciaran had handled the ball out of his box when taking a kick.  Wow, that’s some eyesight as the ref was almost on the half way line and yet he was 100% sure about his decision.  The free kick forced Ciaran to dive down to his right and parry and was followed up by Whitworth for a tap in. 1-1 and easily an assist for the referee there.

A rare free kick awarded to Royton on 32 mins about 30 yards out on the line.  Harrison drove the ball in at pace, Tommy ran in and leapt higher than anyone to power it in.  Brilliant goal, fantastic deliver and execution. 2-1. HT

A few changes were made to keep fresh legs in the midfield and off for the 2nd half.  A bit of head tennis and a lapse in concentration and Whitworth was straight back in it. 4 minutes played and all square at 2-2.

Another Whitworth attack thwarted by some frantic defending but this left one of their lads sat on the floor holding his foot. The game continued and the ball pinged about between the two teams, easily 30 seconds had passed now with the lad still sat on the floor. Royton managed to work the ball to Rahman on the half way line who knocked it past the last Whitworth defender and he was off.  Nobody on the pitch fast enough to catch him and surely a 3rd goal for Royton… but no, the referee decided right there and then to blow up so Whitworth could look at their player sat on the floor who then got up.   An absolutely shocking and one of the most biased refereeing decisions I’ve ever witnessed.  Tommy, the Royton captain asked the referee why he’d stopped the game when we were through 1 on 1 and was booked for it…An absolute joke.

Rahman, still playing like he was possessed made another fantastic run, held the ball up well, knocked it through to Jackson and that was the third, nothing the ref could say about that. Great finish. 3-2 to Royton with 9 minutes to go.

Some more frantic defending from Royton as Whitworth continued to push and every opportunity the ref had to give a free kick, he took.  There must have been 7 or 8 dubious freekicks / corners given in the last 3 or 4 minutes but the lads held out.  3-2 away win with everything against us.  That’s the first time we’ve beaten Whitworth away and a double over them this season.


Date Time League Season Match Day
January 12, 2019 10:30 am North Bury Junior Football League Championship - U14's 2018/19 2018/2019 Saturday


Whitworth Valley Hornets U14's
Whitworth High School Hall St Whitworth OL12 8TS


Whitworth Valley U14’s2
Royton Town AFC U14’s3